The Flexitouch system is a programmable pneumatic compression device designed for the at–home treatment of lymphedema, chronic edema, and non–healing venous ulcers. By providing gentle, work–and–release application of pressure in up to 32 chambers, the Flexitouch system is the only device proven to be more effective than other simple pneumatic compression pumps.1 Removing the obstacles to consistent, effective self–care, the Flexitouch system helps patients improve their overall health and enjoy a higher quality of life.
Mechanism of Action
Unlike traditional compression pumps that squeeze and hold the affected areas, the Flexitouch system promotes natural movement of fluid through the lymphatic system into healthy areas of the body. The mechanism of action of the Flexitouch system has been clinically proven to stimulate the lymphatic system.2
Utilizing multiple treatment options to provide customized treatment and a clinically proven mechanism of action, the Flexitouch system delivers results. In a recent study focusing on at–home lymphedema therapy:3
- 90% of patients reported feeling satisfied with the Flexitouch system
- 95% of patients using the device maintained or reduced limb volume
- 95% of patients reported continuing use of their Flexitouch system
- Patients reported significant improvements in physical and emotional health
1. Wilburn O, Wilburn P, Rockson SG. A pilot, prospective evaluation of a novel alternative for maintenance therapy of breast cancer–associated lymphedema. BMC Cancer. March 2006, Volume 6, Number 84.
2. Kristen E. Adams, John C. Rasmussen, Chinmay Darne, I–Chih Tan, Melissa B. Aldrich, Milton V. Marshall, Caroline E. Fife, Erik A. Maus, Latisha A. Smith, Renie Guilloid, Sunday Hoy, and Eva M. Sevick–Muraca Published: Biomedical Optics Express. 2010; Vol. 1(1): 114–125.
3. Ridner S, McMahon E, Dietrich MS, Hoy S. Home–based lymphedema treatment in patients with and without cancer–related lymphedema. Oncology Nursing Forum. July 2008, Volume 35, Number 4.